Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, June 22, 2006

Home Sweet Home: Part 2

Before leaving campus this afternoon, I stopped by the library to see if the Rio Grande Historical Collections could help me form a history of my abode. (Actually, considering its age and the thickness of the walls, I can call it an adobe abode.) The assistant said I would need to know the U.S. Reclamation Service tract number or the section, township, and range, and they could track down the first owner. He also suggested I look at the county web page to see what prior tax information they have for the property. Finally, he brought out a book of historic buildings in the county. Apparently, I live just outside the Alameda Depot Historic District, so I saw pictures of buildings just up the street, but not my own.

I searched the county web page and found a whole bunch of numbers that correspond to my property but don’t actually mean anything to me. (I’m hoping the RGHC can help me out.) I also found eight filing records from 1985 through 2002, although three of them are merely the declaration of condominium and two amendments. I have a couple of new owners’ names, though, so it wasn’t totally useless. Oh yeah, and I did get the section, township, and range numbers.

Then I searched the RGHC web site photo collections using "Alameda" as a key word. There were a couple dozen hits, most of which were not relevant. I did see two citations for Dr. Clyde Tombaugh with his telescope at Alameda Avenue. Wouldn’t you know it, those pictures aren’t available online! Oh well, that just gives me two more tidbits to throw at the RGHC and see what comes out.

Why is this relevant? You mean I didn’t mention that Dr. Tombaugh kept a telescope in the rear building on our property, where two of the condo units are now? Ah, I see. Thus, I must return to my narrative about my special home. Stay tuned....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home