Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, May 15, 2008

Your 15 minutes of fame have been postponed.

Well, I won't be on TV again any time soon. I wonder, though, if your 15 minutes has to come all at once, or can it be taken a minute at a time? And, does fame mean people around the world know your name, or just across your country, or can it be just local?

My first appearance on TV was during a high school football game. My parents bought season tickets because my brothers were in the marching band, so I had to sit through innumerable football games just to watch my brothers play at halftime. All games were taped and aired later on the school system's cable channel in our town. One day, we had the game on, and during a break in the game, there I was on the screen, walking down the steps to buy some popcorn. (This was thrilling for a kid in elementary school.)

Later TV appearances include the two district spelling bees, also shown on the school's channel. When I worked in Alabama, I was a guest on a daily morning show on that town's local cable channel. (The town was large enough to have a morning show of its own but so small that the new grounds manager at the university was big news.) Unfortunately, I didn't have the sense of mind to set my VCR beforehand.

Later, I was interviewed by a woman from the local public radio station. They were in the midst of a drought. (They had only 30 inches of rain that year.) Therefore, a grounds manager trained in the Chihuahuan Desert must be an expert at telling people how to keep their plants alive without water. I do have a cassette tape of that show.

For the most part, though, my media exposure seems to cast me in the role of "unnamed extra", so, yesterday, when the team from Aggie Almanac came to interview the owl lady, I figured I might appear in the background, digging to unearth one of the artificial burrows we have on campus. It was not to be, however, as no digging was required. However, I will let you guys know when the show is going to air, in case they have it available online as well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home