Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, October 14, 2012

A Step in the Wrong Direction?

The good news is that I finally got pinged for a first-round interview phone call.  The bad news is that it's in Baltimore.

Well, there are plenty of good things about Baltimore, and I enjoyed my one trip there (to the Inner Harbor) in high school.  It's also close to the Noog (a long day's drive), so it shouldn't be much trouble for me to move there.  The negatives are that it's even farther from my mom than the Noog is, so visiting won't be any easier, and, even worse, I can't imagine how I've even made the first round of this job.  It was my shot in the dark.

The position is Assistant Director of Buildings and Grounds Operations.  (I won't say where yet.)  I figured that I know plenty about grounds and I could learn about other facilities stuff.

The selected candidate will manage and provide planning and direction to support the strategic initiatives for the recycling and moving crews, lighting maintenance and re-lamping, pest control and grounds.

Well, when I look at it again, it's not so much of a stretch.  I've done recycling, pest control (outdoors, at least), and grounds, and how hard could it be to oversee someone who replaces burned out light bulbs?  The only thing I'm unfamiliar with is moving (but maybe I'll learn something as I – ahem – move there.)

My other doubt is if this will take me to my level of incompetence (read The Peter Principle).  Will I be promoted beyond my ability?  Can I do this job, at least until something more suitable comes along?  Will anything more suitable come along?  I've seen lots of job postings for general facilities and slim to none for grounds.  Do I need to bite the bullet and give up my precious plant care for something that will make me employable?

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, October 15, 2012 , Blogger Betty said...

Good luck! It sounds to me like a job you can do, and maybe a chance to get a little extra experience with, you know, the indoors.

I used to go to Star Trek conventions in Baltimore back in high school, but I spent all my time there inside hotels, so I know almost nothing about the city.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home