Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, August 29, 2013

I'm not "sleep-deaf" after all.

There's a very good reason that I didn't hear the fire engines come to extinguish the blaze:  I wasn't home.

The fire was reported at 4:30 p.m., at which time I was in an entirely different part of town (and, yes, I have witnesses, not that there's any reason to suspect me of arson).  It occurred on Tuesday, the last day of my work marathon, so when I was returning to my car yesterday afternoon, to get the second load of my groceries, and noticed the burned section of building, the damage was just less than 24 hours old.  (And here I thought it had happened weeks ago, and I just didn't notice because I was always leaving and arriving home in the dark).

Here's what the city's newspaper had to say about the fire.  I'm a bit miffed that there's more said about the pets than the human residents of the building.  Okay, so "no injuries were reported", but how about some mention of how many people were displaced, or how long it took to extinguish the fire, or how many apartments were damaged by fire, smoke, or water (you know, the facts)?

The cynic in me is surprised that the paper didn't run a picture of the pets.  Surely they must be more photogenic than a burned corner of building.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home