Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, February 04, 2020

Does This Color Make My Bumper Look Fat?

Because I drive the speed limit during my commute, I get passed by a lot of cars -- especially when I'm behind a vehicle driving even more slowly than I am.  I usually pass the time by counting how many cars pass me before I, too, can overtake the slower vehicle.  I've gotten up to 44 or 45 before losing count.

The other day, I tried something different.  I pondered if my peripheral vision could detect the color of the next car about to pass me, just as it entered my sight.  It did.  After 36 cars, the color I first saw was correct.

What surprised me was the limited number of colors.  Out of 36 cars, one was orange.  All the rest were red/maroon, black, white, or silver/gray.  There were no yellow, brown, green, or blue cars (unless the green/blue were so dark they passed for black).  I stopped at 36 because the sun had gone down, and it was getting too dark to determine any color.

I repeated the experiment another day, with 42 cars.  Substitute a chartreuse car (we'll call it ugly yellow) for the orange, but all the other colors were the same as the first time.

How boring.  I'll admit to driving a silver car (family tradition), but I'm surprised by how few car colors people choose, out of all the ones possible.  Maybe it's just in New Mexico.  Maybe the rest of the world drives interestingly colored cars.

I'm tempted to break with tradition the next time I buy a car, if only to liven up the road.  Can you see me in a purple car?  Blue with yellow lightning down each side?  Do you think any body shop could custom-paint my car to look like an owl?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home