Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, August 04, 2019

Must've Been Some Knife!

It always amuses me when people publish newspaper headlines that mean more than the writer or editor intended.  I've finally found one myself.

The front page of the Tuesday, July 30, 2019 edition of the Albuquerque Journal included this headline above the fold:  "BCSO:  Woman fatally shot by deputies armed with knife".

The way I read it, the deputies used a knife to shoot the woman.  (Some feat!)  They probably meant that the woman was armed with a knife.  Rewriting the headline as "Woman armed with knife fatally shot by deputies" isn't any better, though.  Then it sounds as if the knife was killed.

Let's stick in a couple of commas, and it should be good to go.  "Woman, armed with knife, fatally shot by deputies".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home