Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, July 23, 2007

How long does it take an Aggie to change a light bulb?

We have two fluorescent fixtures in my/our office. Each one holds two bulbs. Each bulb is eight feet long. On Thursday, one of the bulbs burned out. Because of the peculiarity of fluorescent fixtures, that meant the entire fixture turned off, and we were half in the dark (literally, not just figuratively). Today (Monday), I finally had the time to replace them.

I asked Worker Bee if the warehouse was where he had obtained bulbs previously, and he said we had a box of bulbs "in the back". I looked in the storage room and didn't see any 8' long boxes. I checked with Worker Bee again to make sure I was searching in the correct room. Somewhat snippily, he replied that I was.

Our mechanic had to show me where the box is. It's on the floor... below the shelves... in the darkest part of the room... with items stored in front of it... and you have to lean on top of very dusty items on the lowest shelf, reach over the shelf, and down below, you will find the box. Wouldn't you know it, there was just one bulb left?

For some reason, I thought that fluorescent bulbs had to be replaced in pairs, like batteries. That meant I had to go to the warehouse after all. (Thank you, Worker Bee. :b) The warehouse desk was staffed by three students, each of whom was amazed that there are eight foot long light bulbs. (Actually, I am, too.) Naturally, they sent the shortest student to go fetch the one I requested.

Maneuver said 8' bulb through a door, the vestibule, then another door. Carry bulb to shop. Maneuver bulb through screen door (held open with foot) and very heavy front door (held open with unencumbered hand). Learn how to remove existing bulbs (twisting doesn't work). Remove burned out bulb from safety sleeve. Figure out where to keep burned out bulbs separate from new ones. Observe that new bulb has different end pieces, so it won't fit in fixture... naturally. Return bulb to warehouse (proceeding through doors in reverse order), obtain replacement, and take replacement back to shop (doors, as before).

After replacing the burned out one (obviously charred inside at one end), I pondered if I could get away with putting the other old one back in. Ta-da! It worked! Of course, that meant the bulb I acquired at the warehouse (and all the effort I put in to do so) was superfluous, but at least I had a spare bulb for next time.

Take new bulb to storage room (climbing over lower shelf and getting dusty again). Take old bulb (through those darn doors again) to roll-off for disposal. Return to shop and wash hands.

ANSWER: 35 minutes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home