Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, August 30, 2007

Charge of the Light Brigade

I have a secret power, but I don't know how to control it. That makes me a pretty useless superhero. Maybe I need to find my own Professor Xavier to help me discover how to harness it and use it for good. Even then, it's still kind of useless, but maybe it's just the tip of the iceberg.

I discovered in college that I can shut off streetlights when I walk under them. This has continued but still isn't frequent; on my 1.25 hour weekend walks, I average about three during that period. (My range is from one to five.) It isn't the same lamp posts each time, either, so I can't just blame it on a faulty fixture.

I may or may not have the same control over a particular traffic signal on my route from work to the gym. It is a traffic light that controls access to/from an interstate exit. I encounter it immediately after exiting the local access road onto the interstate's cross street (less than a block), and it is always red as I pull into the turn lane that leads to the on-ramp. The thing is, just as I make a complete stop on red before turning (lawful good man that I am), the darned light turns green. It doesn't matter if I am the first car in the lane or the third or the fifth; it stays red until my car is in front. It is inconsistent in the duration of its red phase but maddeningly consistent in its tendency to change just as I stop.

4 Comments:

At 7:03 PM, August 30, 2007 , Blogger Betty said...

I discovered in college that I can shut off streetlights when I walk under them.

Oh, everybody can do that...

 
At 5:41 AM, August 31, 2007 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Maybe at your alma mater, which was full of science geeks and computer nerds. My school was much more diverse and had many students who came from acres and acres of land without any lights whatsoever.

 
At 3:20 PM, September 04, 2007 , Blogger Geosomin said...

A friend of mine always sets off the detector in the library wven though she has no books with her.
Maybe you can pool your powers together...?

 
At 7:18 PM, September 04, 2007 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Hmm... Brain takes over the world's power supply, and the Doctor has electrical flashes in nearly every episode...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home