Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, March 14, 2008

Run, Eliza! Run from Simon!

For those of you who haven't heard, Joseph Weizenbaum died earlier this month. Not sure who he was? He was the creator of ELIZA, a computer program created to test how humans interacted with computers. I tried it on the Heathkit computer my dad built, and I found it aggravating. After all, computers do only what they are programmed to do; they can't understand what they do. (You can try an updated, online version here.)

3 Comments:

At 7:05 AM, March 14, 2008 , Blogger Betty said...

Oh, man, I had a version of that that I coded into my old TRS-80. It was an annoying program, but I have some fond memories of it, anyway.

(Such programs have come quite a ways since then... I find Jabberwacky greatly entertaining, although it tends not to make coherent sense for more than a few sentences at a time.)

 
At 12:55 PM, March 14, 2008 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Which is more than we can say for Lewis Carroll's poem.

 
At 1:25 PM, March 14, 2008 , Blogger Betty said...

I dunno, I think the poem actually makes an astonishing amount of sense, considering that half the words in it don't really exist. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home