Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, March 10, 2008

Depreciation, Donation, Inflation

I took some items to the Habitat for Humanity Re-store this weekend. After I dropped them off at the back entrance, I walked in the front to see what they had available. (Don't worry; I didn't buy anything new -- er, old.)

I happened to see my gym owner and his wife (because his father often volunteers there). As I was chatting with them, I saw the two-drawer file cabinet I had just donated being placed onto the sales floor. Later, when I was perusing what was available, I moseyed past the file cabinet and snuck a look at the price tag.

I had purchased the cabinet at a major discount-retailer during my sentence in Alabama eight years ago for $27.48 (before tax). For tax purposes, I set my donation value at 50%, or $13.75. The new (er, old, er...) price tag read $25.00.

Sure, I kept it in good condition, but just wait until the unsuspecting purchaser gets it home and discovers that the things that are supposed to hold the files upright don't work worth a darn (and that's what I get for buying from a major discount-retailer).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home