Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Maybe I'm just sensitive.

When I woke up this morning, my apartment seemed lighter than usual. It wasn't that I overslept and the sun was up*, but, for some reason, the nightlight I keep in my kitchen (so I don't kill myself if I get up in the night to find the bathroom) seemed brighter. Then, in my living room, I could see my porch light through my blackout curtains, which I'd never seen before. Have I collected so much owl stuff for so many years that I'm starting to acquire better night vision?

A little later, on my walk to the gym, I passed under the high tension power lines, as usual, but this time I could hear the electricity sizzling along them. I'd heard this phenomenon years ago, at a college campus in Arizona, but never at these power lines.

Better vision, better hearing -- will I be able to turn my head 180 degrees next?

On the other hand, if my vision and hearing are improving, does that mean one of my other senses is diminishing? Losing my sense of taste might mean I would eat less. It also might mean I eat more, trying to satisfy myself because I can't taste food as well.

Since I'm on the topic of sensitivity, let's have a listen at this.



You know, even if I account for years or decades since she first recorded the song, Christine Lavin looks nothing like I expected.

* For me, "sleeping in" means I don't get up until 6:00 a.m., and that's still well before sunrise in The Noog. If I'm ever in bed when the sun comes up, something is seriously wrong.

2 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, October 02, 2011 , Blogger Betty said...

Were you bitten by something radioactive? It's possible you may be developing superpowers.

 
At 5:23 AM, October 03, 2011 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

I hope not. I'd like to be infected by something more impressive than that ant. (Dang, spiders are already taken!)

If my latest poison ivy rash turns into something cool, I'll let you know.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home