Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

No, we didn't dance the "Monster Mash".

I have a habit of doing things and forgetting to blog about them, so I ought to tell you about the Mustache Bash before I forget everything.

Ostensibly, it was to celebrate the St. Bernard's 40th birthday, but that happened a month ago.  The party took place at his parents' house, but how it was remodeled and redecorated obviously was done by the St. Bernard and his wife, who probably expect to inherit it (but not for a long time, of course).  Food was provided by dining hall staff, and it was yummy.  (Do calories count if you take home leftovers?)  The party was attended by several administrators and teachers, along with their spouses and rug rats.  There was one of those "moon bounce" jumpy things in the backyard to entertain the children.  The St. Bernard's father latched on to me right after I arrived, since I was one of the few guests he knew (he works for me) and felt comfortable with.  (Ditto, back atcha.)  We both eased up when the number of guests diminished, and when I and the head accountant were the only guests remaining, the St. Bernard's wife and mother both latched onto me and said they were glad to have the opportunity to get to know me.  (I had never met either one of them before, but both knew my name and both said they saw me walking around campus.)  I think the leftovers they pressed on me (and which I stopped politely declining once I saw how much food hadn't even made it to the buffet line yet) will cover my dinners all this week.

What I took away from the visit was how much of a "real" person the St. Bernard is and how easy he is to get along with.  Skippy likes to keep all flow of information through himself and tells the rest of us that we're not to speak to the St. Bernard or various administrators on campus.  (So, when they e-mail, phone, or text us directly, I comply with their wishes and respond, but I don't initiate contact.)  It was a pleasure to have a chance to speak with him for a while.  (Skippy had left already.)

No, I already knew that everyone's mother loves me.  (The wife feeling so also was a bonus.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home