Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, February 06, 2014

In Which I Feel Increasingly Powerless

There was a dusting of snow on my car this morning, but no ice, so I could simply run the wipers a couple of times and head to work, right?  No, nothing can be simple for me now.  (I wonder if it's a result of living in Tulsa in the winter, or if it's just my new normal.)

My car radio didn't work, and the radio/clock display wasn't on.  My turn signals operated, but I couldn't hear them clicking.  Otherwise, everything seemed okay.

After work, I couldn't even start the car.  Thankfully, the mechanic hadn't left yet, so he jump-started my car from one of the work trucks.  (Yes, I am glad that my field of work means I have a mechanic on hand.)  My radio, display, and turn signals worked normally.  The mechanic's hypothesis was that the "button" in my car door, which normally signals the car to shut off the radio when I open the door, might have been frozen and thus didn't shut off my radio, and the resulting trickle to the radio diminished my battery.  (His thought this morning was that a fuse might've blown, but the car not starting at all put paid to that idea.)

I made it home -- and backed in to my parking space, in case I need a jump start.  If my car doesn't start first thing, I'll call one of my employees, who lives as far south in town as I do, just farther east, and see if he can swing by and pick me up.  Regardless of what happens, I'll be taking my credit card with me, so once AAA gets me started, I could go and get the battery replaced (if need be).  Or maybe I could sweet-talk the mechanic to help me out!

I know precious little about automobiles (that's why I hire mechanics), but here's what I think is wrong with my car.  It's protesting the weather.  "You bought me in Albuquerque," it pleads.  "I don't do single-digit temperatures!"

Buddy, neither do I.

1 Comments:

At 2:22 PM, February 07, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

If the radio did keep running, that could definitely do it. I once had my battery go flat because when I closed the trunk of my car it didn't latch properly and the wind blew it open... and there was a light in the trunk which comes on when it's open.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home