Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, November 06, 2015

Little Monsters

We bought a bag containing 150 pieces of candy to distribute for trick-or-treating this year.  I thought that would be enough because of all the candy left over last year.  When I got down to one piece left, I had to turn off the light.  (It's not that I wanted the last piece for myself, but most kids were in groups of four to eight children, and I didn't want to let one child feel fortunate and turn the others away.)

We had at least four, store-bought Captain America's this year, and a whole bunch of kids in unrecognizable, homemade costumes.  (At least, they were unrecognizable to me.  I'm sure if I had asked, the kids would've told me who they were then looked at me like I was stupid or something.)  I saw a couple of Spider-Man's (men?).  Glad to know that the classic characters are going strong.  (Spidey's my favorite.)  Shortly before I ran out of candy, there were a boy and girl dressed like Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia.  I'm surprised children that young are even aware of "old" characters like that.  (Bless their parents.)

A trio with their father showed up a little after four o'clock, but the rest didn't start arriving until 6:45 p.m.  Back in my day, when Halloween wasn't on a school day, I hit the pavement at 3:00 p.m.  Are kids not as greedy for candy these days -- or is it just parents are too cautious?  I realize now that it was little over an hour before we ran out of candy.  (I might as well have left the door open, or maybe just sat outside the door and waited.)

I guess we'll have to buy two bags of candy next year.

1 Comments:

At 6:22 PM, November 06, 2015 , Blogger Betty said...

Believe me, Star Wars is just as popular right now as it ever has been. Star Wars is eternal.

I had zero trick-or-treaters. Well, I suppose it's possible some showed up after I left for the party, but probably not. At most, I maybe get one or two groups of two or three kids, and most years not even that. It's annoying, because there's just enough likelihood some will show up that I have to buy candy just in case, but then it doesn't get used. I think kids prefer to pick streets that have sidewalks.

And it's funny... Some friends of mine here in town were saying how weird it was that they were getting a lot of kids starting early in the afternoon this year, talking about it like they didn't think that was quite socially acceptable. Which confused me a bit because, yeah, I remember hitting the streets in search of candy right after school, and a lot of younger kids not even being allowed to trick-or-treat after dark. But then, back then all but the littlest kids went on their own (or, rather, in groups with friends or siblings), and these days they all seem to be accompanied by grown-ups. So maybe that's what's changed.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home