Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Getting Smashed

My mom's mailbox was obliterated early this week.  This is the second time this year it has happened.  (See my July 6, 2015 post.)  I reported it to the police this time but hadn't before, since I thought it was a one-time thing (especially since the earlier time was on Independence Day, and I thought someone was merely being exuberant -- although it did surprise me that the mailbox was smashed and not exploded).

My mom didn't want me to buy a replacement mailbox last night, as she wonders if it would be better to rent a post office box.  Yes, it would be safer, but also more expensive.  Plus, then there would be gasoline and time spent driving to the post office every day.

Oh, one more thing.  Just like earlier this year, my mom's was the only box on the entire street to be vandalized.  What could a mostly homebound, elderly lady possibly have done to tick off someone that much?

1 Comments:

At 9:15 AM, November 01, 2015 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried repeatedly (a couple of weeks ago) to reply to this post but it appears that I cannot do so from my phone. Here's a final try from my computer.

It is a federal crime to vandalize or destroy a mailbox.

"Mailboxes are considered federal property, and federal law (Title 18, United States Code, Section 1705), makes it a crime to vandalize them (or to injure, deface or destroy any mail deposited in them). Violators can be fined up to $250,000, or imprisoned for up to three years, for each act of vandalism. "

above from https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/raddocs/tipvandl.htm

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home