Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, April 03, 2017

Meet My Son: Skunk Cabbage

My mom and I watched six episodes of The Munsters on DVD last night.  I reflected on the name Lily.  There were also the characters Hyacinth, Daisy, Violet, & Rose from Keeping Up Appearances.  How many other people were named after plants?

With a little help from an internet search, I came up with quite a list of girls'/women's names.  Some of them I've heard of only as fictional characters.  You might have met some that aren't on this list.
Amaryllis
Camellia
Cicely
Dahlia
Daisy
Daphne
Erica
Fern
Ginger
Hazel
Heather
Holly
Hyacinth
Iris
Ivy
Jasmine
Laurel
Lavender
Lily
Magnolia
Marguerite
Marigold
Myrtle
Nigella
Olive
Pansy
Petunia
Poppy
Primrose
Rose
Rosemary
Rue
Veronica
Violet
Willow

The list for boys/men is much smaller.  Is it not considered masculine to be named after a plant?  (Again, a few names I know of only as fictional characters.)
Alfalfa
Basil
Cotton
Heath
Huckleberry
Reed
Rowan
Sage

I limited my search to solely plant proper names.  I didn't include modified names, such as Marjorie, which is similar to Marjoram.  Nor did I include non-specific, plant-related names, such as Flower/Fleur, Petal, or (dare I say it?) Leif (leaf, get it?).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home