Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, December 10, 2006

Sunday Drivers

I hate the way people drive in this state!

My hypothesis is that native New Mexicans don’t use turn signals, but we transplants do. I think it comes from them learning to drive on the farm, where there’s no one else on the road.

Inconsistent drivers drive me batty (pun intended). Why do you pass me and then slow down, making me pass you in turn? ... and then make a turn/exit? ... and then get stuck behind the guy who is the reason I was driving so slowly in the first place?

People weaving in and out of lanes make me nervous. The more lane changes they make (usually over the speed limit and without using signals), the more likely they are to cause a collision. (Notice I didn’t say "accident". Accidents can’t be prevented.) I recently saw a pickup truck pulling a trailer swerving in and out of lanes in Albuquerque. That guy cut his passing distance so close that I was afraid I’d have to dodge shrapnel.

Californians have been stereotyped for speeding, but I was entirely comfortable on the freeways around San Diego. (They used turn signals!) My only problem in the greater Los Angeles area was the way that Boss was driving. (Then again, he’s a native New Mexican.)

Texans usually speed. When I pass a Texan (which is rare), I look at the speedometer, to make sure that my cruise control hasn’t gone wonky. I think only Texans can read the fine print on speed limit signs that says, "For non-Texans only."

Arizonans actually come from every place else, so they’re too difficult to classify.

When I was back in New Jersey for my high school reunion, I drove with the flow of traffic. It was only five miles per hour over the speed limit.

This is why you need to drive defensively. You never know what turkeys are on the road with you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home