Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Mmm, Meat!

(Bobby Bob, Pinky & the Brain)

I hosted a cookout this past weekend, partly to commemorate the beginning of summer, but mostly because I bought a grill and want to use it for more than just myself. (It works wonders, by the way.)

As usual, only a fraction of my guest list attended, but my place was filled, so I guess I had invited enough this time to result in a decent number. Actually, I had to shoo people from in front of the fridge every time I grabbed some fresh meat, so there might have been just a few too many for comfort's sake.

My problem now is that my fridge and freezer are chock full of leftovers. I bought far more food than I needed, but I had too. After all, what if this were a freak accident and everyone I invited showed up, but I had only bought enough food for 1/4 of them?

Plus, I might have been too generous with the selection I offered. I didn't want to look cheap, though (especially not with that fancy, large, new grill). In addition to the usual hamburgers and hot dogs, my guests could choose from kielbasi, chicken breast, pork loin, sirloin steak, and Frito pie. Burgers could be upgraded to barbecue bacon or Hawaiian (ham and pineapple), not counting garnishes such as tomato, onion, mustard, ketchup, mayonnaise, lettuce, chili meat, or a fried egg. Desserts included fresh, mixed berries (blue, black, and rasp), vanilla custard, chocolate chip cookies, and oatmeal butterscotch cookies. There was more beer and soda in my refrigerator than most people had seen outside of a convenience store. Oh yeah, and there were potato chips, corn chips, and tortilla chips, too.

Most people wanted a plain cheeseburger. I had two takers for barbecue bacon and two for Hawaiian, as well as two for steak. No one asked for a hot dog or chicken breast, not even the guy from my gym who is my part-time, unpaid conscience about my eating habits.

There are now more leftovers in my freezer and refrigerator than I have ever seen outside of my parents' house. It will take me months to get through them all. (So much for eating healthier.) Anyone care to help me out? Just give me 24 hours notice, so I can defrost some of the meat for you.

1 Comments:

At 9:51 AM, July 03, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Buy a vacuum sealer and reseal all your frozen items. They'll keep longer and will not experience freezer burn.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home