Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, September 28, 2007

Ancient History

I was reading a contribution to our weekly paper from the local rabbi about Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah. (Okay, so I'm a couple of weeks behind.) For some reason, my brain connected those holidays incorrectly with the Battle of Jericho, so now I have that hymn stuck in my head.

Of course, you remember learning about the Jews, led by Joshua, taking of the city of Jericho. He circled the walled city and blew the ram's horn (also called a shofar) seven times. After this, the Jews shouted, and the city walls collapsed. The next part of the history is apocryphal, but some scholars believe that Joshua was pleased with the results and, as he entered the vulnerable city, remarked, "Shofar, so good."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home