Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, November 06, 2007

Scat, cats!

My best friend growing up had two cats. They were house cats. My friends now who have cats keep them indoors as well. I believe that's the way it should be. (A neighbor's cat in Albuquerque was caught and carried off by a coyote, reinforcing my belief.)

Last night, just as I was about to fall asleep, the two neighborhood cats got into a fight outside my bedroom door. It was quick, but it was enough to make me fully alert. Then, to ensure that I wouldn't fall asleep, they yowled for twenty minutes or so. At first, I thought they were in pain. Then I realized that one would yowl, and the other would echo it a little more quietly and with a deeper voice. Perhaps this wasn't cries of pain but some part of a complicated (and extremely irritating) courtship ritual? Maybe, even, they do this type of thing every night, by a different house each time, and last night was just my turn to be kept awake.

Where's a coyote when you need one?

(For the record, there were no corpses nor bloody pawprints evident on my veranda this morning.)

2 Comments:

At 6:48 AM, November 06, 2007 , Blogger Betty said...

Yeah, that sounds like amorous, rather than aggressive cats. As I know well, from living in a neighborhood full of strays.

 
At 6:42 AM, November 07, 2007 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Oh, joy. Now how long before I find a passel of feral kittens on my veranda?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home