Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Up your nose with a rubber hose!

Consider this a big "duh" moment in my life. How many times have you heard someone say that, if you have a leaky faucet, you should replace the washer? I don't know why I didn't think that extended to hoses, too. I just kept wondering why my hose started leaking at the faucet. It wasn't until the washer split, and part of it fell out, that I realized what the problem was. Actually, if I hadn't seen that part of the washer fall out, I still might be wondering what the problem was. (So much for the common sense I lord over people.)

So I walked to neighborhood hardware store a couple blocks away. I had said washer portion in my pocket, in case I had to compare sizes. No problem there, as there was only one size available. Why though, would I want to buy a package of ten, when I have just one hose? (Apparently, the lifetime warranty means that the ten washers will be enough throughout the life of the hose.)

Oops, now I know why. (Glossing over the length of time it took to pry the remaining portion of the old washer out of the hose, so that dusk was falling and I couldn't really see what I was doing any more.) The new washer went in much more quickly than the old one came out. Odd, though, that the hose was still leaking. (I could see that in the impending darkness.) Hey, where did the new washer go? It's a good thing I had nine others in my pocket. (One of my professors taught that one should always have a "Plan B". Now I know why.)

I have to wait until Thursday, though, to look for where the first new washer fell out. You see, thanks to my schedule, I go to work and get home from the gym in the dark. Maybe it's just appropriate, as I seem to be "in the dark" about simple household repairs.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home