Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, January 04, 2008

Carbon Guilt

The new trend is "carbon guilt". People who are worried about the amount of CO2 they create buy carbon offsets, such as a share in a tree planting program. I think this needs to be filed under "Stupid Human Tricks".

First off, if they feel guilty, they're not doing everything they can in the first place. I don't feel guilty about my carbon footprint. I reduce, reuse, and recycle. I walk. I combine trips. I don't drive a gas guzzler. I turn my (programmable) thermostat down in the winter and up in the summer. I support my electric utility's wind generation program. (For a description of real guilt, see my 9/6/07 post.)

Second, these people are wasting their money. Rather than paying someone extra money, they could save money by adopting one or more of the methods in the above paragraph. They'll pay less for gasoline or utilities, and they won't pay a guilt fee on top of that.

Third, these people probably are being scammed. Who will verify that those trees were planted? (Remember the "buy a piece of the rainforest" campaign back in the 1990's?) Who's to keep someone for charging ten people for the privilege of planting a tree -- and then plant one tree and send ten certificates and photos of "your tree"? On top of that, who will verify that the growing, transporting, and planting of that tree didn't expend more carbon that the tree can assimilate? Does the carbon credit come from a 6' tall sapling or a 30' tall mature tree, who knows how many years from now?

Last summer, an "environmental justice" seminar was held on our campus. The participants were giddy about planting twenty trees to offset the carbon they supposedly generated for the seminar. How did they measure the carbon they produced, and how did they measure the carbon these trees were supposed to offset? I know they didn't ask me or my staff about the water (from a well, which uses an electric pump), fertilizer (usually a petroleum derivative, and delivered in a gasoline-fueled truck), digging (with a diesel or gasoline tool), and transport (more diesel or gasoline) of the trees both from the nursery to our storage area then again to the planting site. What about the water (from the same well) we need to keep them alive and growing? I'm getting a headache from this, and there are probably other factors I haven't even included.

1 Comments:

At 12:35 PM, January 07, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

The whole "global warming" thing is bunk... Humans are not the problem. This whole carbon offset thing, as you have pointed out, is just crud. This planet is way too tough for the little people creatures living on it to affect it in any meaningful way... at least not without concerted effort.

There used to be a USENET group called alt.destroy.the.earth. It was the conclusion of the many contributors that it just wasn't feasible.

I don't give a darn about "saving the environment". I do give a darn about improving my quality of life. That means that "reuse, recycle, and don't pollute" are all good things. The environment cannot be "saved". There is nothing "wrong" with it.

On the way back from Phoenix yesterday, I saw some farmland that was going to be turned into housing. That makes me cranky. Perfectly good arable land being turned into urban sprawl. Less farmland means my food prices go up. I like my food fresh and inexpensive.

I am an environmentalist: I live in an existing home in the city and relatively near to where I work. I drive cars that are well maintained. I have no "carbon guilt". I use incandescent lights when possible so as to not contaminate the soil with mercury. I am an environmentalist.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home