Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Various Thoughts

For some reason, I remember a particular question from Family Feud (the Richard Dawson version, not any of the johnny-come-latelys). People ("Survey says...") selected brown as the car color which they thought showed dirt the least. (Notice it's just what they thought, not actually what shows dirt the least.) Here in New Mexico, I seem to have hit the jackpot with my silver/gray car. The dust here is very light tan, so I can go for longer periods of time without washing my car than if I drove a green, red, or black one, for example. One of the things I appreciated during my time in Alabama was that it rained so often that I never had to wash my car. (Thank heavens, because the dirt there is orange.)

I mention this because it finally rained here on Sunday night or Monday morning. I slept through it, but it was enough to leave puddles in the parking lot for me to see when I woke up. Unfortunately, it was also just enough to make my car dirtier than it had been. Now I have to drive a dirty car all week because 100+ degrees is just too darn hot to wash my car when I get home. I'll have to wait until the weekend and do it when I get back from my walk, just before the sun rises.

Gym Rat was surprised. "You slept through it? It poured, and there was thunder and lightning and everything." Maybe it was stronger and louder at his house (storms are incredibly variable here in N.M.), or maybe it's genetics. I get the capacity for deep sleep from my father, who once slept through an earthquake during a trip to California. During my second year in college, I slept through a fire alarm -- even though it was right outside my door. My RA, who was checking all rooms to make sure the residents got out, had to physically shake me awake.

For some reason this morning, I found myself pondering whatever happened to my eighth grade classmates who were on the support staff of the boys' basketball team. (Technically, I know what happened to one of them; he's now the principal of the high school we attended.) Then I started thinking about athletic coaches. For some reason, coaches of women's or girls' teams can be women or men, but coaches of men's or boys' teams are always men (as far as I know). I wonder why the double-standard. If any of you know why, or if you know of any female coaches of boys'/men's teams, please post a comment.

All these things ran though my head this morning, in less than an hour after I woke up. (I have to get that much thinking out of the way early. Lord knows they usually don't appreciate my mind here at work.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home