Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Hot Wheels

This is a follow-up to yesterday's post ("Where the Rubber Meets the Road", Mon. 7/14/08) about my difficulties with wheeled conveyances.

I shared my blog with a precious few coworkers. (My pride won't let me tell the whole office about what happened on Saturday.) One of them (and I'll have to think of a good nickname for her, since I might mention her again) called me, laughing, and said she was just halfway through reading and was thoroughly enjoying it. Less than ten minutes later, she walked into my office and said, "I'll do it. I'll teach you how to ride a bike."

Her proposed method is based on the premise that some people can't learn to pedal, steer, and balance all at once, so you must separate those skills. Hence, she plans to take me to an elementary school and push me down a hill, so all I need to worry about is balancing. That idea makes sense -- if it's not a long, steep hill.

Part of my great conversation with Gym Rat (see also today's earlier post) included this topic, and he seemed more likely to let me borrow his bicycle after I learn how to ride one. That's because he doesn't believe the bike store employees and says that a mountain bike (which he has) shouldn't be that much slower on level roads, and that if I intend to bike from work to the gym, which includes up and down several hills, I would need more gears, which I could get from a 21-speed bike (21-speed?). Plus, he lives on the side of a hill, so I could practice shifting gears without taking his bike out of his own neighborhood. He also likes the idea of going to a pawn shop to look for an inexpensive bike, once I know the type and size I really need.

I kind of alluded yesterday to setting a plan of attack for my new educational endeavor. When I was being non-negative (and then positive), I managed to separate my skill challenges into concise, manageable goals. Now, I have created a fluid timeline to accomplish them.

1) Learn to ride a bicycle.
2) Buy a bicycle and practice.
3) Start bike-commuting to work on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
4) Reenroll in (and complete) the motorcycle safety course. Get motorcycle endorsement on driver's license.
5) Build up endurance to attempt bike-commuting to work then gym then home.
6) Keep mind open about buying a motorcycle, but just because I finish the course doesn't mean I need to buy one.

I did also get a return e-mail from the certified bicycle instructor. She'd gladly have me enroll in her course, but it's not until late October or early November, so I'm more likely to attempt learning with as-yet-unnamed coworker, because I don't want to lose any opportunity of reenrolling in the motorcycle course for less money.

So many opportunities. So much time. So little fear. (I'm almost afraid that I'm not afraid.)

1 Comments:

At 5:38 PM, November 10, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You write very well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home