Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, August 22, 2008

D.W.I. - Driving, Walking Idiots

If any of you live near a college campus, I'd like you to assist me with a little experiment.

Go to the campus while school is in session, sit where students tend to gather (the student union, a popular sidewalk, a residence hall, etc.), and observe. Watch the students walking by. See what they do.

Yesterday, I was driving a golf cart for campus visitors, along a section of our main pedestrian mall which had been roped off (with bright orange pylons and ribbon) for the golf carts, and I was amazed at how many students did not notice a fleet of golf carts bearing down on them. Worse yet, there was one girl who kept walking, singularly focused on something straight ahead. She had no clue that anyone else was around her. A bicyclist could have zipped around my stopped golf cart and mowed her down -- and she wasn't even on a cell. phone!

Go ahead. Look at your college campus. Watch how oblivious the students are when they're on a cell. phone -- and wonder why so few places have laws against using a cell. phone while driving.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home