Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Nuts to you!

I've been waiting a while to be reminded of why almonds are supposed to be good for you. I sprinkle some on my salad at dinner, so I can feel as if I'm eating better and because they add a little crunch. At long last, the September 2008 issue of Men's Health magazine had a tiny blurb about them.

Almonds have long been known to have a beneficial effect on your cholesterol. But Canadian scientists recently found that adding almonds to a healthy diet helps significantly lower blood pressure, too. The likely reason: almonds are rich in magnesium, which has been shown to reduce hypertension. Grab an ounce or two of the nuts a day; that's about the same amount the study participants consumed.

Did you know that almonds aren't really nuts? The almond is Prunus dulcis, which belongs to the same genus as peaches (Prunus persica), apricots (Prunus armeniaca), plums (Prunus domestica), and cherries (Prunus cerasus). The difference is that you don't eat the outer layers of the almond, as you do those other fruits. Remember all those pits your mother told you not to eat? Well, you're eating one anyway.

Contrary to that old commercial for Mounds and Almond Joy, "Sometimes you feel like a nut," you're not actually eating one. I guess, more than sometimes, you don't.

4 Comments:

At 7:43 AM, October 29, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Raw almonds have long been a favorite snack of mine. I am eating them now, in fact.

All this time I thought my low cholesterol was mainly due to my consumption of beer and wine.

 
At 1:18 PM, October 29, 2008 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Those help, too, and it doesn't hurt if you have good genetics.

 
At 2:25 PM, November 06, 2008 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm....
Almond Joy...

Almonds to lower cholesterol.
Coconut as fiber.
Chocolate with antioxidents.

I hereby declare Peter Paul Almond Joy to be a healthy snack!!!

 
At 6:49 AM, November 07, 2008 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Yay!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home