Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Your 15 minutes are up.

There's a saying, attributed to the late, U.S. artist Andy Warhol, that every person gets "fifteen minutes of fame" in his/her lifetime. (I suspect that some of us will never be known because an awful lot of celebrities take more than their fair share.)

Our local community college is having a fundraiser. You, too, can pay just $35.00 to attend. The press release says, "Celebrity performers include Sunny Ozuna, Al Hurricane, Al Hurricane Jr., Tobias René, Rick Treviño, and René René."

Obviously, the person who wrote the press release has a different idea of celebrity than I do. I've never heard of any of them, even when you consider I live in a decently sized small town. (Note: I always laugh because Las Cruces calls itself a city, but Cherry Hill, NJ, where I grew up, has about the same population, and it's just called a township. I honestly can't call this place a "city".) I've heard of the mayor. I've heard of a few business owners and university administrators. Heck, even one of the local newspaper editors blowing his own horn is a name known to me, but not any of the aforementioned "celebrity performers".

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home