Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, December 10, 2008

To be discontinued...

When I like something, it goes away -- not always, but often enough.

While in ABQ for Thanksgiving, I had to go to the furniture store to order a new bureau and end table for my bedroom. The store had mailed me a postcard announcing that they are discontinuing my line of furniture at the end of this year, and my saleswoman even phoned to tell me. I hoped to save my money, but following Australia Rules*, I had to buy my pieces. (For those of you who wish you could see my bedroom ;) here are my bed and my nightstands.)

Losing my favorite styles/brands/models/whathaveyou isn't new to me. Two of my preferred aftershaves by Avon went away. (I now use the generic copy of a brand name.) I even can't buy any more flatware because the manufacturer discontinued it -- although that might not count because it's sitting in a box in my kitchen cabinet because I'm a bachelor and don't need that many place settings in the first place. Even Pinky & the Brain went off the air. (Sigh.)

* Australia Rules are this. If you see something for sale (especially on sale) which you might never see anywhere else, and you probably will never be in that place again, or if it's at a really good price, buy it because you'll never have that chance again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home