Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, July 17, 2009

Do you like movies about gladiators, Timmy?

I did a lot of traveling the past few weeks, and that question popped into my head as I pondered the new security measures on cockpit doors.

Since I was working from home, it was no problem for me to drive one of the company’s pickup trucks from our former client location to San Antonio, TX. I was blessed by being the one to take Sub’s truck away from him -- although I have no idea what he did to the steering wheel (it was coming apart in my hands) or the seatbelt (which was twisted more than a corkscrew).

I stopped in a little town for the night (and ate in the blandest Mexican restaurant in my life). It was fun driving 80 mph for most of the way between El Paso and San Antonio. After the manager there showed me some of the schools we maintain, he took me to lunch and dropped me off at the airport. A few hours later, Boss’s boss picked me up in El Paso and drove me back to Las Cruces.

Three days later, I drove to Albuquerque. Two days after that, I flew to Chattanooga, TN, where I started my new job. It turns out that, while I was delivering the truck, I had received a message from the guy who interviewed me, asking me to call him, and two messages from an H.R. representative who wanted to speak with me about the new job I had accepted.

Yes, “Huh?” is an appropriate response.

I called back on Wednesday and accepted the job. He asked if I could start Monday.

Yes, “You want me when?” is an appropriate response.

I am now the Grounds Manager for Sodexo at McCallie School (pronounced like the magazine McCall’s) in Chattanooga, TN. It’s a private school (day and boarding) for boys in grades 6 through 12. I just finished my tenth workday here.

Maybe I’d better reconsider the title of this post, given my new surroundings…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home