Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Easy Rider

I used my new bike for the first time yesterday. A local chiropractic/therapy office offered free bike tune-ups yesterday, with the purpose of making sure your bike is adjusted suitably to your body. Naturally, there were issues, but since the therapist who helped me was nearly as tall, he understood what I needed.

First, I needed air in the tires. Then I heard about slime tubes and bike levers, and there I was figuring out how to work the kickstand.

He had me ride my bike in the parking lot. After discounting my poor form from lack of experience (but I only ran into the curb once!), he raised my seat and moved it back. Now the seat is above the maximum recommended by the manufacturer, but I do want to pedal without my knees reaching my chin, don't I?

The other therapist, who had been helping the person before me, argued against rotating the handlebars forward, as that would make me reach and lean too much. Obviously, he didn't see that I have monkey arms, so reach isn't a problem. He also hadn't seen me ride; the guy helping me said my "knees were almost hitting the handlebars". That's me: all legs.

It turns out the ideal bike for me will be longer (more distance between the seat and handlebars), not taller. Okay, taller would help some, too. However, for a free bike, it wasn't a bad deal. I'll be able to use it for learning and practice, and when I'm ready, I'll trade up to a better model.

I spent some time riding clockwise in my parking lot that afternoon. Then I rode counterclockwise, just for variety. I also practiced shifting gears. The guy told me that 1-1 was "granny granny", or the easiest gear for pedaling up steep hills, so I got it down to 3-7 for my level parking lot – and it still was too easy. I could pedal a bit then circle with just momentum.

I'm all set for more lessons. Ready, Coach?

By the way, it's green -- just right for the Cap'n.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home