Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Well, that's one thing that can be said in favor of marriage.

When your alarm clock goes off, your spouse can kick you in the rump and tell you to get to work.

I didn't hear my alarm clock at all this morning. I overslept two hours. (Sure, on the weekend, when I tried, I couldn't stay in bed, but on a workday...) My clogged ear, which had gone away on its own yesterday, came back with a vengeance. I stopped by the student health center to see what could be done. The nurse looked in my ear and confirmed it was earwax. (Well, duh!) Her only helpful suggestion was that I should go to a drugstore and buy some over-the-counter eardrops to loosen the wax. Ergo, I go.

3 Comments:

At 4:31 PM, July 16, 2009 , Anonymous Robomarkov said...

Save it and make candles!

Green is in!

 
At 6:28 PM, July 16, 2009 , Blogger Betty said...

Nah, don't make it a candle. I know some people still use them, but they've been demonstrated not to work, and they can be quite dangerous.

I've had uglybad earwax more than once, so here's some tips, if you need them:

1) It can take several days for the drops to work, so don't figure you're going to apply them once and suddenly hear again, sadly. It can easily get worse before it gets better.

2) If you didn't get one of those syringe bulbs with your ear drops, you'll need one, because the drops only soften the wax; it still needs to be physically removed. They say to syringe gently so as not to risk damaging your ear, which sounds like good advice, but in my experience, if you've got big ol' ear plugs in there, you'll need to jet the water in pretty hard to dislodge them.

And 3) if all else fails, you can go to a doctor and ask them to syringe your ears with their high-pressure Magic Earwax Jet. But the drops and syringe bulb are gentler.

 
At 6:37 PM, July 16, 2009 , Blogger Betty said...

Oh, I forgot an important one.

4) When you shoot the water into your ear, tilt your head down, grab your outer ear with your other hand, and pull your ear up and back a little to straighten the ear canal. This makes getting the way out much easier.

Um, thus endeth the lecture from Doc Betty. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home