Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, May 10, 2010

Whew!

What a week! I was so busy at work, I didn't have time to post.

Really. On Friday, I had just turned on my computer (about 7 a.m.) when someone came to my office (and someone else phoned at the exact same time) to tell me that the dumpsters I ordered had arrived. Unfortunately, the person for whom I ordered the dumpsters hadn't arrived yet, so with the confused help of a phone call... Well, if she doesn't like where we put them, let's see her move them.

Plus, I got home so frazzled and tired every day (why do I never get to leave on time on Fridays?), I didn't feel like doing anything. Heck, I spent all of Sunday watching Scooby-Doo movies on Cartoon Network and playing a computer game.

I didn't even feel like telling you guys about my feat on Wednesday. Or maybe it was Thursday. (See? That's how busy my week was.) Thanks to absolutely no warning (or else I would've assigned one of my crew to do it), I accompanied Froggy onto the roof of a building to prune tree branches away from the building so a painting contractor could work there.

Yeah, I managed to climb an extension ladder. (Froggy was nice enough to let it be on the one-story part of the building.) Yeah, I managed to get off the ladder, onto the roof. Yeah, I managed to walk on the (sloped) roof rather than just stand teetering near the edge. The difficult part wasn't even reaching over the edge to use the chainsaw-on-a-stick to cut the branches. What was hard to do was not to think about the fact that the branches were all against the three-story part of the building. (Our campus slopes so much that you can enter on the ground floor of a building, walk through the building without climbing any stairs, and be on the third floor before you know it.) Actually, I was sort of okay with that, except whenever a vehicle drove by on the road below.

There was one amusing occurrence while I was up there. I was waiting (sitting) for Froggy to come back with a tool to adjust the chainsaw, and a squirrel approached me on a branch we had partially cut off. Perhaps I'm anthropomorphizing here, but I saw a surprised look on his (or her) little face. I'm not sure what surprised the squirrel more: that the branch suddenly ended instead of continuing to the roof as it once had, or that one of those big ol' humans was up there, staring back at him/her.

Now I'm not going to be all macho. I'll admit I was afraid most of the time. However (and this is almost as amazing as getting me on the roof in the first place), there was no panic. Mind you, I'm not too keen on ever doing it again, but at least I know now that I can.

Until tomorrow, when I might need to get into the boom lift to hang protective nets between the soccer field and the parking lot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home