Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

A Vaguely Inappropriate Text Message from Ancient Mesopotamia

For some reason, my cell phone doesn't always ring or vibrate when I receive a voice mail or text message, so I'm often surprised when I open it to check the time. Yesterday afternoon, it told me that someone with a phone number I didn't recognize said, "Ur sugar is here".

After a minute of pondering, I guessed that it meant "your". I also pondered that it was very odd because I don't have a Sugar, and even if I did, she'd know better than to send a personal message to my work phone. I figured that someone had misdialed (although, considering the nature of the message, that seems kind of surprising), and I deleted it.

Imagine my surprise when one of the maintenance guys drove by me just after I had left the office and said that he had brought the case of sugar I had ordered down from the dining hall. Oh. Yeah. Right.

Well, it's not entirely my fault. After all, I had sent an e-mail inquiry, so I didn't expect a text message in reply, and it didn't come from the one food service manager I have programmed in to my cell phone, and it was utterly out of context when I read it. What else could I have thought?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home