Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, October 08, 2010

Free, to a Good Host

Yesterday, the campus offered free flu shots to students, faculty, and staff (and contractor staff). I've never bothered getting a flu shot before, since I'm young (fairly) and healthy, but since it was free... (How do you think I wound up with so many T-shirts?)

One of the nurses from the infirmary gave me my shot. (Some guy I don't know was also doing the shooting.) Everyone got to choose between a Spongebob Squarepants or a Spider-Man bandage. No question: it's Spidey for me, ever since he was on the original The Electric Company.

"Are you allergic to eggs or latex?" she asked.

What kind of kinky s--- am I getting into? I mean, I might be okay with that with the right person, but I barely know her!

Well, that's what it would sound like out of context. Naturally, I had already read the double-sided information sheet about the flu vaccine, and I've donated blood enough times to have used up a box of rubber gloves myself, so I knew why she asked.

Another thing about donating blood is that the needle used in that process is a lot larger in diameter, and it stays in your arm for much longer. I nearly asked the nurse, "Have you stuck me yet?" but I think I felt a little prick. (Oops! I probably shouldn't say that at a boys' school.) When she put it in the sharps container, I saw that it was bent almost at a 90 degree angle. Did she catch the needle on the edge of the container and bend it, or is my upper arm so muscular and tough that she should've used a stronger needle?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home