Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, October 11, 2010

Splish Splash

I painted my closets this weekend. (At the rate I'm going, I should finish my apartment some time next year.) It's so nice to have my floors back (had to store the stuff from the shelves somewhere) and my bedroom in some semblance of normalcy. For some reason, things fit more neatly on the shelves now than before. (It's probably just a temporary conquering of entropy.)

I also recaulked around the bathtub. The old caulk was peeling off (in some places; in others, I really had to dig it out), and whoever put it in had done a terrible job (it wasn't smooth, like on TV, where it's done by professionals with years of experience and the help of videotape editing). I took one tip I remember from years ago on This Old House (which I haven't watched since they got their third host): when you caulk your tub, take a bath.

The principle is that the weight of the water and a body in the tub pull the tub down, away from the walls. So, if the tub was empty when you caulked and then it gets filled, the caulk will stretch and break as the tub sinks. But, if the tub is already weighed down... well, I guess it's okay for caulk to compress but not stretch. Plus, I ran my finger along the seam, which both pushed caulk a little deeper into the groove and smoothed it out. All right, it's not perfect, but I can go back and cut off the little extra with my trusty razor blade.

Question: if your razor blade gets gunky, what do you use to scrape it clean?

Anyhoo, I did that, and then I took a bath, which I haven't done for years. Wait. That didn't sound right. I mean I shower. Honest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home