Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

I can halve my cake and eat it, too.

Some years ago, a woman I used to know baked what she called a "Harvey Wallbanger Cake" for a party for her daughter.  Not only was it yummy, but I got a buzz off of just one slice.

Since Thing One is an exemplary cook, and since she makes a cake whenever one of the management team has a birthday, I asked if she thought she could make it for my birthday earlier this month.  Lo and behold, she pulled out the recipe from hers and her mother's trove of gastronomic secrets!  The downside is that she expected me to bake it myself. She was nice enough to let me use her kitchen, though (and her Mixmaster and her cake pan and...), and we both provided ingredients.

It didn't turn out as well as she hoped, although you couldn't prove it by me.  I thought I was scraping the bottom of my bowl of baking lore when I suggested we could turn the cake pan upside down to cool, as my mom always did for her angel food cakes, so that the cake wouldn't settle.  She figures it's because the cake mix instructions said to add all four eggs at once, whereas she always adds and blends them in one at a time, when she makes a cake from scratch.  (For me, using a mix instead of buying a completed product is "from scratch".)

The alcohol in the cake batter evaporates while baking, so you needn't worry about everyone at work getting tipsy.  The leftover section I took home, however....  /grins broadly/  I cut a slice, put it on a plate, and pour the two kinds of alcohol from the recipe over the top.  Then I let it sit for a bit.  After a short while, I turn the piece over, so that the other side also can soak up what dribbled onto the plate.

I haven't gotten a buzz, though.  I need either more alcohol or a bigger piece.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home