Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Or should I choose Door #3?

Just when I thought things couldn't get better (or worse, depending on your viewpoint) on the apartment-hunting front, I found another viable option.  This place appears well kept-up, the manager was engaging and seemed to care about the property (not just a leasing agent who talks up valueless perks like DVD's to borrow for free and a "business center", and who is trying to sell you a lease), and the price is ideal.  The negative of this site is merely the fact that it increases my tendency to wemble when faced with a choice.

If you'd care to give any advice, here are the properties in a nutshell.  (They are numbered in order of visit, not any sort of ranking.)  Apartment #1 is $0.66/sq. ft. ($465 for 700 sq. ft.), has a washer and dryer in the unit, and is about 14 miles from work.  Apartment #2 is $0.64/sq. ft.  ($479 for 750 sq. ft.), costs $1.00 each to wash and dry in the laundry room, and is about 3 miles from work.  Apartment #3 is $0.59/sq. ft. ($415 for 700 sq. ft.), costs $1.50 each to wash and dry in the laundry room, and is about 9.5 miles from work.

On the basis of those numbers, #3 is the best overall price and area cost, and #2 has the edge on proximity to work.  About all that #1 has to recommend it is the convenience of not carrying laundry, detergent, and quarters out the door.

Or should I start calling places out of the phone book?

5 Comments:

At 7:26 PM, April 24, 2013 , Blogger Betty said...

I think the real question is, which one feels most like a space you want to live in?

 
At 3:43 PM, April 25, 2013 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

My condo in NM, naturally. :)

I'm definitely leaning toward #3, primarily because the less I spend on rent means the more money I can spend on something else or save. Plus, the manager did seem involved with the property, nor did she equivocate when I asked why the sign out front had a different name for the complex than what I saw online.

Coworkers said it's in a good part of town, and there's a large park across the street, where I can walk or ride my bike. The asst. bank manager said, "That's a great part of town!", but he might've just been in the "I'm happy because this guy's opening an account, so I'm going to sound interested in everything he says, even if he confesses to strangling kittens and crocheting their fur into tea cozies" mode.

I felt almost happy while there, so, regardless if it was merely happiness at finding something for such little rent that isn't a dump, I should probably go for it.

 
At 4:00 PM, April 25, 2013 , Blogger Betty said...

It does sounds like a great choice, then! With or without the kitten tea cozies. :)

 
At 11:44 PM, April 28, 2013 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do not forget to consider commute time and fuel.

What is your time worth? How much will you spend on gasoline to commute to and from work. Don't forget proximity to work is not the only thing; consider shopping, health clubs, dining, and entertainment when calculating driving distances.

 
At 3:37 PM, April 29, 2013 , Blogger Captain Chlorophyll said...

Shopping, gyms, dining, and entertainment are negligible, as I don't anticipate having any money to spare. I figured what I don't spend on rent can be spent on gas, and what I don't spend on gas can be spent on laundry.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home