Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, June 15, 2013

If you're not measuring, you're not managing.

That's the latest catchphrase at work.  When I heard the big boss say it in a meeting this week, I could tell it had just the right amount of hooey to be the new method of operation.  When she repeated it during the meeting, I knew.  (I wonder if it's a slogan the company paid too much money for, or if she got it from a fortune cooky.)  "Do you think she really believes this?" I asked a coworker.  "Oh, yeah," the coworker responded.  Fun.

I pondered the other week, when a temp. experienced a minor injury, a full-timer backed his truck into a citizen's vehicle, and another full-timer sprained his knee and fractured his elbow.  I count three experiences.  Counting is a form of measuring.  Ergo, I am managing, right?

That's not managing.  That's coping.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home