Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, June 01, 2013

Made it!

There appeared to be no problems last night, at least in Tulsa.  The last tornado warning I heard was for counties north of us and due to expire at 8:45 p.m.  I stayed up late (until 9:00), and the radio didn't say anything else, so I went to bed (a bit uneasy, but I went to bed).  My phones didn't go off at all with warnings last night.

I woke up frequently through the night and occasionally saw lightning, but the length of time it took me to hear the thunder indicated the storms were miles away.  When I ventured out this morning for razor blades and aftershave, the sidewalks and streets were wet, but not under trees, so I guess we were only skimmed by whatever storm passed by.

A coworker gave me this map yesterday.  It is immensely helpful with figuring out where the counties in each weather alert are located.  (You have to click on the right-arrow to see the map.)  That's how I knew the storm was north of us, but I was uneasy because it could've dipped a bit south and reached Tulsa County.  The map, however, does not explain why people like living somewhere they could get killed in a natural disaster at any time.  Would I have taken the job if they had warned me in the interview that I'd arrive just in time for tornado season?

Here's a map of where tornadoes have occurred in the U.S.  (It's a Canadian website, but Canada is excluded from the map, for some reason.)  Do you see that bottom part of the map, just west of where all the tornadoes stop?  Yep, it's a good time to move back to New Mexico!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home