Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, June 27, 2013

They should call it No-klahoma.

Whether you count my experience getting my new driver's license and car registration as a record for the world's longest wait depends if you count only the time I spent in line or total time from beginning to end.

You see, the state of Oklahoma has a brilliant idea called In Line Online, where you can reserve an appointment time at the driver's license center.  You don't have to take a number.  You don't stand there for two hours or more (even to take a number, like the one time I did in NM).  I could quibble and say that the In Line Online window wasn't occupied either time I went for my appointment, but one of the other clerks helped me each time.

The main delay in the process was the fact that the state of Oklahoma wouldn't accept my birth certificate.  All my employers have accepted it.  All other driving agencies have accepted it.  Even the U.S. government accepted it as proof of identity for my passport (which was the other document Oklahoma would've accepted, even though it was based on my not-birth certificate).  Instead, they demand a certified copy issued by the state.  Naturally, this costs money to order and time to receive.  Thankfully, I had ordered several certified copies some years ago for another reason, so I had my mom send one of them to me.

So, do you say that I waited just ten minutes, or a week and ten minutes?  Say, maybe I could win the record for the world's shortest time in line at the DMV!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home