Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, April 25, 2014

Please, Don't Squeeze

I was checking the spelling of "albumin" online (hey, it's closer than the dictionary, and I'm feeling lazy today) and caught sight of a related link to Whipple's Disease.  I felt the need to comment.

First, the website describes the condition as follows.  Whipple's disease is a rare condition that prevents the small intestines from properly absorbing nutrients. This is called malabsorption.  Wouldn't "Malabsorption" be a cool name for a rock band?  The disorder mainly affects middle-aged white men.  Uh-oh, that includes me now!  Can we go back a sentence?  Whipple's disease is caused by infection with a bacteria called Tropheryma whippelii.  Wait a minute.  Why don't they say how I can get infected?  Whipple's disease is extremely rare.  Rare or not, I really want to know how I can avoid becoming infected!

Oh, dear.  I suddenly feel like one of those susceptible schmucks who doesn't think he has a disease until a TV ad tells him he now can buy a drug to treat it.

1 Comments:

At 5:22 PM, April 25, 2014 , Blogger Betty said...

Welcome to the wonderful world of hypochondria! It's an insidious thing, and the internet is a prime means of transmission. You would not believe now many horrible diseases I have managed to diagnose myself with online. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home