Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, August 04, 2014

Errand Day

I expected to get off work after just eight hours today.  They should abolish cell phone usage at work (or at least keep my bosses from using them).  Still, it was just an hour and fifteen minutes extra today, so I thought I'd get my monthly haircut on the way home.

Wrong.  The barber shop is closed on Mondays.  I never knew it before, since I've never tried going on a Monday.  Now I have to let my boss know, "Hey, I'll need a little time carved out of my not-OT* so that I can get my hair cut, since we work until every other sane person has gone home for the day."

Still, it was a day when the sun was still up when I left work, so I treated myself again.  I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for dinner, with salt and vinegar potato chips, milk, blueberry yogurt, and some black grapes (while relaxing on the sofa, reading a book, naturally).

Then I remembered that I had a couple of checks to deposit, which I couldn't do all last month because of working godawfully long hours.  So, I laced up my walking shoes and made it to the branch in the closest grocery store (just under a mile walk) before they closed.  Then, on the way home, I allowed myself a detour to the used bookstore in the maul.  I purchased six books from the $1.00 clearance shelves (and none from the regularly priced shelves) and continued home.

The sun is still up!  I'm tempted to celebrate some more by showering and going to bed now, so I have extra time to read in bed.

It wasn't a vacation day, like the two days we couldn't work late last week because of the rain, but it was still a good-feeling day.  I got things done because I had time, and I didn't feel rushed.  I treated myself because I could, and not because it was my only chance.  Now if it could only be like this more often...


* I call it not-OT since I'm a salaried employee and not eligible for paid overtime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home