Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Thursday, April 05, 2018

In Defense of Efficiency

Although I have opinions, I seldom share them in this forum.  I talk about things I see or do, things I ponder, things I find humorous.  I avoid political or religious topics, on the main, because I value the thought processes (or lack thereof) more than the decisions made.  After recent news, though, I want to say something.

Regardless of one's views on climate change, I think it's wrong to ease environmental regulations.  You can even put aside all science & interpretations of said science and still think it's probably not good to put into the air/atmosphere these chemicals, particulates, or gases that weren't there before.  I intend to argue from a different viewpoint today.

In the past, some gas or petroleum companies would burn off excess gases as unnecessary byproducts of their industry.  Regulations were imposed to restrict this "flaring" and to reduce leakages in the systems.  Now put aside your opinion if you think this is good for the environment or if you think it's bad for business.  Look at it this way.  If you capture this gas, rather than burning or losing it, you can sell it.  That makes you more money.  If you have more gas to sell, your company can remain in business longer.  That sounds like it benefits both business and the environment to me.

Earlier this week, talk arose about reducing efficiency standards for automobiles.  Why?  If your car combusts fuel more efficiently, then you spend less money on gasoline.  You also extend the viability of the petroleum industry.  How about just feeling good that you're driving a more efficient car?  Even better, rather than disparaging foreign countries, businesses, and products, you could say, "Look how great American engineers are!"

I might be a small voice in the vast wilderness, and who knows if it matters that I think certain things are right or wrong, but I surely disagree with the way decisions are being made.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home