Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Friday, December 15, 2006

Life is Terrific!

That was the bumper sticker behind which I drove home tonight. It’s a lesson I need to relearn.

Today was the tree planting ceremony for the outgoing student regent at N.M.S.U. (Every regent who serves a full term gets the privilege.) Her parents and little brother were there, as well as her grandmother who came all the way from Iran and another woman, who appeared ethnically very different but I am assuming was another grandmother. Each of them tossed in a shovelful of dirt. Then the other regents participated. Then the university president and various administrators. Naturally, dozens of photos were taken. Everybody seemed to be enjoying themselves.

I’ve done so many tree plantings, it’s not special any more. I’ve lost my youthful enthusiasm (or optimism, or idealism). I don’t want to turn into one of the bitter old men I work with. Of course, recognizing the behavior is already a good step in avoiding it. Instead of criticizing other people, I need to focus on bettering my own behavior.

I need to dream more. I need to appreciate what I have. I need to find more to appreciate.

1 Comments:

At 9:10 AM, December 18, 2006 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Relax. Have a homebrew.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home