Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Book Him, Danno!

I did something this week I should have done a long time ago. I got a Branigan Memorial Library card. "What? You've lived there how long and are just getting your library card?!" (Betty, I stand ready for your punishment.)

In my defense, I offer that much of what I read is in the mystery genre, and I receive many of those books from my mother, a member of the Mystery Guild book club. Second, when my dad started clearing out his old books before he died, I picked up a whole shelf full of them, and I've only started on two of them thus far. Also, I ransacked the city library's delivery to the recycling center* and picked out another shelfful (?), of just mysteries. Therefore, I hope I have earned some dispensation by not actually needing to borrow any library books.

When I was a student at NMSU, I was a Crimson Scholar. Supposedly it held some sort of honor, but the only reason I even applied for the merit was so I could register first for classes. Another benefit was semester-long checkouts at the campus library. I qualify for an alumnus library card, but I've never bothered because "I don't have the time". "What? You work on the campus and can't take some of your lunch break to go check out just one book? (Betty, I stand ready for your punishment.)

* I'd like to know why the library would rather dispose of books rather than spend the money on a bottle of glue to stick the pages back in. Of the four books I've read so far, the worst problem was a few loose pages. Ergo, I squeeze a bead of white glue, stick the pages back in, and take the books in for credit at the used bookstore three blocks away. Problem solved, and I've just profited from someone else's waste. It's so easy, I almost feel guilty. Almost.

2 Comments:

At 3:51 PM, January 16, 2007 , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Spank him, Betty! Spank him!

 
At 6:52 PM, January 17, 2007 , Blogger Betty said...

I'm not going to say anything. I don't actually have a library card, either. I already own more books than any one human being can read, and I somehow manage to keep buying more of them. The last thing I need is to start borrowing books on top of that. :)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home