Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, October 01, 2007

Sports Nuts

Why are most of my male coworkers enthralled with (American) football? I see no appeal in watching men run into each other while working their way back and forth across a field. I prefer baseball or hockey (which may be back and forth, but on ice skates, and the game moves much faster). A lot of football fans I have talked to claim that baseball is "too slow". Oh, really? But they prefer to watch a game that lasts an hour on the clock but, with time outs and penalties and instant replays and commercials and... With football, you're stuck for three hours or more.

Worker Bee took his family to Phoenix this weekend to watch the Cardinals play the Steelers (his team). That sounds like a nice vacation, but it's so expensive. My dad took my brothers and me to Phillies and Flyers games as we grew up. Those tickets cost a lot less, possibly because there are more games to attend. (Fewer games in football means charging more for tickets.) Maybe that's why football is so hyped; they emphasize each game more because of its infrequency.

Now, in the spirit of humor on which this blog was founded, I hereby replace my gripe with the following.

Golfers have smooth, dimpled balls.
Bowlers have 18 pound balls.
Tennis players have fuzzy balls.
Basketball players have orange balls.
Baseball players have leather balls.
Soccer players have black & white balls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home