Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Where else can you buy three books for seventy-two cents?

I went to COAS yesterday afternoon to turn in some books for a friend. Unfortunately, I had to wait for them to tally my credit because there was a box of books in line in front of me. (Honest! It was sitting there on the counter, with no one else around.) I say "unfortunately" because the assistant said those fatal words. "This will take a while. Would you like to browse?"

I bought The Enchanted Places by Christopher Milne (which Betty knows I intend to use for a particular bit of research), Happy to be Here by Garrison Keillor, and The Complete Book of Bicycle Commuting by John S. Allen. My total charge was $14.50. (I'm guessing the $0.72 was for sales tax.) I should be grateful I brought home far fewer books than I took there.

The bike commuting book is from 1981, so it doesn't have anything about the "hybrid" bike that the sales guys recommended to me, but the advice about dealing with traffic, how to dress, how to carry loads, etc. should be timeless. I also glanced at two different bicycle repair books, but since they were published in 1971 and 1973, I thought they probably wouldn't have any advice for whatever newfangled gizmo I end up buying.

Of course, I have to learn how to balance first. Maybe we won't be rained out this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home