Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Wednesday, July 23, 2008

My Father's Ghost

I feel a little like Hamlet this week. I have been attending Examiner Training for Quality New Mexico (QNM), who administers the annual recognition process for businesses, schools, health care facilities, government agencies, and non-profit organizations in the state of New Mexico. QNM uses the same criteria as the Baldrige National Quality Program.

My father was deeply involved in this organization, first as an corporate applicant/winner, then as a volunteer examiner, then as a judge and employee, then back to volunteering (so as not to present any conflicts with clients of his quality consulting business). In fact, he used to present the training I am attending. (No, the current presenter didn't pour poison into my father's ear to get the job.)

From the first five minutes after I walked in the room on Monday, the presenter talked about my father and his contributions to QNM, both to me during breaks or to the entire class. It's a little daunting to say the least. I imagine my father standing in the front of the room and hear his voice in my head. I struggle with the material (as I hope the other new examiners do, too) and worry about not measuring up and tarnishing his reputation. I worry that I won't or can't perform to the same level and besmirch his legacy. (He left big shoes to fill.) Through it all, I try to remain positive, and I focus on all the successes and contributions and all-over good work he did -- and not just for QNM.

Of course, I'm probably better off listening to Polonius's council, "To thine own self be true," rather than getting into a fight to the death with Laertes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home