Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Monday, February 23, 2009

Babies & other Hazards of Sex

Since I mentioned a precursor to sex in my last post, why not also mention one of the consequences?

While eating lunch at a restaurant today, my mom had her first encounter with a woman breastfeeding her baby in public. I told her it's now socially acceptable in the U.S.A., as long as the, ahem, "object" is properly covered. It was, more or less, according to my mom.

I think just the act occurring in public was a shock to my mom, and she breastfed three children. I used to have a friend who once fed her child in a restaurant, while I was at the table next to her. My friend excused herself, went to the ladies' room to "connect" as it were and, discreetly covered by a blanket, continued our conversation at the table. When her child was finished, she returned to the restroom to "disengage".

It probably wouldn't have disturbed my mom if the patron today had acted similarly, but this woman all but whipped it out in public. I wondered if my mom (or other women) merely scheduled their trips out of the house around feeding times. My mom said there probably wasn't a place to sit in the restroom, since we know how tiny they are at this establishment. (So that's why there are sofas in ladies' rooms!)

My mom then pondered what my brothers (who were seven and nine at the time) thought when they saw her breastfeeding me. That is something I'd as soon not know, thank you very much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home