Anhydrous Wit

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Maybe it's a case of F.H.B. (family hold back).

I have no furniture in my office. My computer, my phone, and I are on the floor. My files and supplies are in boxes in two other rooms. My furniture is waiting.

Because of our aformentioned (9/17/09) flooding, my carpet developed an odor. Last Wednesday (9/23/09), the housekeeping manager said her crew would clean my carpet after lunch. She told me this during lunch. After lunch, I shoved things randomly in boxes, and my crew shoved boxes and desks and chairs where they could find space in two other offices and the break room. (Meanwhile, two housekeepers were sitting around, waiting for us.)

On Thursday, the carpet was dry, but the housekeepers didn't come back for their fans, so I left them running. I selected two tables out of storage that I'd rather have in my office (partly because I think they'll be lighter, in case my crew ever needs to hurriedly move them again) and let Froggy know, since the furniture movers are on his crew.

On Friday, I shut off the fans and left them in my office, and the housekeepers still didn't pick them up. Froggy told me his movers were still busy picking up items bought at the auction of a closed school, and maybe they could take my old desks up to storage and bring the new ones down on Monday.

On Saturday, I figured that 2.5 days of voice mails and e-mails had built up, so I reconnected my phone and computer -- on the floor. It then proceeded to rain, another massive downpour with lightning, so I didn't get to turn on the equipment after all.

Yesterday, I reviewed the voice and e-mails. Froggy told me, "Maybe tomorrow," for the desks because his crew is busy preparing for Reunion Week (this week) and asked if I had notified the property manager that I wanted to remove two items from and add two items to inventory.

Meanwhile, I can't get any real work done because everything's in boxes. "Why haven't you ordered your grass seed yet?" Because my notes are in a box somewhere. "Why haven't you submitted your monthly report yet?" Because my notes are in a box somewhere. "Why don't you know when Fall Break is?" Because my school calendar is in a box somewhere. "Why can't you print out this e-mail and hand it to your employee?" Because my printer is out of paper, and the rest is in a box somewhere.

All I know is, if this had happened to a real person on campus, s/he would've been back in his/her office before quitting time on Friday. I guess I'm just a facilities dork who doesn't matter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home